American Football - But the Regrets Are Killing Me

View previous topic View next topic Go down

American Football - But the Regrets Are Killing Me

Post by Philly Homer on 2011-04-21, 13:00

Back before emo became trendy, before it became the clothes that you wear or the hair that you have, it was a respectable genre that no one knew about. In other words, indie. Now I get peeved when people just throw the word around because 99% of the time when they say it, they have no idea what "emo" actually is. Here's some real emo

No screaming, no fakeness, just a real good sound that paints an amazing atmosphere. It's pretty chill actually.

Last edited by Philly Homer on 2011-04-21, 15:21; edited 1 time in total
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 7388
Registration date : 2007-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: American Football - But the Regrets Are Killing Me

Post by Shemuel on 2011-04-21, 13:37

Egad, I'm an emo!

I'm not listening to most of the music people post for another fortnight, but I was intrigued by this. To bring out the hipster, why is everything cooler before it goes mainstream?

Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Homer on 2011-04-21, 16:44

Almost everything's cool before people know about it. See: A Day to Remember, hip hop, Green Day, emo. It's the mainstream that takes whatever's cool about the aforementioned things and ruins it completely. There is no modern day emo band that can match up to what was going on in the 90s because no one knows what emo is anymore. Mainstream ruins everything. Well, except for Hilary Duff.

/shameless
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing on 2011-04-21, 16:48

Out of curiosity, what defines this elusive and dissed "mainstream"

Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Male Number of posts : 17810
Registration date : 2007-10-13

http://www.flashtrek-tuf.com

Back to top Go down

Post by leewatson1 on 2011-04-21, 18:37

Well it's cool when maybe one or two of your friends may know about a band then when all of them know about it it just sucks big time!!!!!!!
leewatson1
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2008-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel on 2011-04-21, 19:14

Mainstream in terms of music, well. Being played on a hits radio station, at least a very large proportion of population (especially at certain agegroups, ugh teenager underclass) being aware of/professing to like said music/musician.

To a certain extent, it's like lying out on an empty sunny beach alone, or with a small group of friends versus being squashed into a crowded beach with people who you don't fee really appreciate any aspect, just everyone else was down at that beach for some reason so they'd better go there too.
However, quite often when a genre becomes mainstream, it seems that a lot of musicians choose that sound, or change their sound to be similar because it's popular and therefore they're going to sell more records. The only thing they sometimes don't know is what the core of that genre is or how to contribute something new. It's replication, not creation.
It's like seeing someone being happy - "everyone's happy and likes happy people, therefore I should be happy, right?" - the smile, the laughter, all a bit fake, and no idea why they should be happy.

Although there are loads of hipsters, who want so much to be seen as interesting they only let themselves like obscure music/artists/eras of artists/formats!

Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Homer on 2011-04-21, 19:25

Though I'm not that much of a hipster, there's a reason behind why they dislike mainstream so much. It's when a band abandons their values and changes their sound simply to fit the mold of what most people want to hear and abandon their values and creativity after gaining a small modicum of success that bothers me. Changing your sound to fit an established mold is not creative, it's derivative. The meaning of art is to be creative. To conform to the mainstream is to reject art.

Having said that, I still enjoy mainstream music because it's a sound that I like. I also like things that are not mainstream and have an innovative sound at the same time. I just see things for what they are.
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel on 2011-04-21, 19:41

Yay!

Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by leewatson1 on 2011-04-21, 19:46

Shem and philly, thoose names shall be remembered like socrates and homer as great pholosiphers and me i shall be remembered as the unable to spell thorn in there asses Very Happy
leewatson1
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2008-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Homer on 2011-04-21, 20:01

But in actuality, every time I rant about, well, anything, it's just:

Always.
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing on 2011-04-22, 00:43

Ok, well the reason mainly you got me on to this is anytime anybody generalizes things like saying all mainstream is bad, or it's good until it becomes maintstream, they irk me. Why, because it's not entirely true. It's like saying all boys like blue. For instance, I personally love U2, always have always will (though I agree Bono's a weirdo, but still) anyways, it could be argued that U2 is mainstream in fact they have been since the eighties. But they're still good. At least in my opinion. In fact No Line on the Horizon is one of my all time favorite albums by them. So my question, are they bad because they're mainstream, even though their music is good?

Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Homer on 2011-04-22, 02:24

U2's like the epitome of mainstream and I don't like them because they're so formulaic X_x Mainstream is mainstream for a reason: it's a sound that a lot of people know and like. We stereotype mainstream music because, well, it follows a stereotype and doesn't try try to make something new out of it. Using your example of U2, would you really argue that U2 goes out of its way to break new ground in corporate rock? I wouldn't either.

Just an aside, and you all know this, I am a huge fan of pop punk. It's very mainstream right now. It experienced a huge boom in the early 00's and it's getting another one right now. I'm just stating my opinions on things as I see them, regardless of whether I like said things or not.
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel on 2011-04-22, 06:31

I have No Line On The Horizon. Of course there are many exceptions to the rule. However, the exception that proves the rule?

Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing on 2011-04-22, 11:10

Philly Homer wrote:U2's like the epitome of mainstream and I don't like them because they're so formulaic X_x Mainstream is mainstream for a reason: it's a sound that a lot of people know and like. We stereotype mainstream music because, well, it follows a stereotype and doesn't try try to make something new out of it. Using your example of U2, would you really argue that U2 goes out of its way to break new ground in corporate rock? I wouldn't either.

Just an aside, and you all know this, I am a huge fan of pop punk. It's very mainstream right now. It experienced a huge boom in the early 00's and it's getting another one right now. I'm just stating my opinions on things as I see them, regardless of whether I like said things or not.

Formulaic? When was the last time you listened to U2? No, I can't really see U2 as formulaic, each of their albums has its own sound/style. Heck No Line on the Horizon has a different sound from the rest. Take a gander to Get On Your Boots or Breathe, they don't sound like the typical music like Coldplay or the rest of them. Collective Soul is another good one, though maybe not as maintstream as U2, they're still pretty well known by the masses yet they make good music.

So then answer my question Philly, do all boys like blue? (Or answering if all girls like pink also works)

Last edited by Darkwing on 2011-04-22, 11:16; edited 1 time in total

Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing on 2011-04-22, 11:15

Oh and one more thing, once you have listened to every single piece of maint stream music, then I will let you decide whether it is all bad. Until then, you cannot speak to what you haven't heard. And frig, I can't imagine you watch movies at all with this attitude of yours, I think the last truly original movie was sometime in the early 1900s

Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vedic on 2011-04-22, 13:44

Original Movies no longer exist, there all based off something, that all ready been in a film.
Vedic
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Male Number of posts : 1769
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Homer on 2011-04-23, 00:37

Darkwing wrote:I will let you decide whether it is all bad.

Who are you to "let" me do anything? You are not my maker. Furthermore, I didn't say all mainstream music is bad. I have stated that I like mainstream music ad nauseam. You're just putting words in my mouth and assuming that because I'm saying mainstream is repetitive that I actually mean:

Darkwing Thinks wrote:oh well mainstream is terrible I am a hipster and I drop bands as soon as they make money at all. Indie forever.

Ye gods, I would kill myself if I were like that. Films are not completely original anymore, and neither is music. If any music uses an instrument, it's already not original. I'm arguing style and not anything else here.

On the note of cinema, I implore you watch The Vengeance Trilogy. It's 3 Korean films, and all three are basically equally good. It's like Kill Bill on steroids.

Darkwing wrote:So then answer my question Philly, do all boys like blue? (Or answering if all girls like pink also works)

Actually, I like pink so I'm a girl. That's how it works right?
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top