MLB Playoffs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MLB Playoffs

Post by Philly Homer on 2010-10-10, 22:16

I seriously think I'm the only one here that ACTUALLY follows baseball, but I forgot to post this thread when they started out. But whatever, I'll do it now.

Let's review. Yesterday the (evil) New York Yankees completed a 3-game sweep of a Twins team that couldn't get timely hits, couldn't hold leads, and altogether just looked pathetic against the cold machine that is the Yankees lineup. Truly pathetic. I'm not going into a deep exposition of this series cause it was just a disappointment.

-The Tampa Bay Rays and the Texas Rangers are 2-2, going back to Tropicana on the 12th for the deciding Game 5. The Rangers won the first two on a combined score of 11-1 and the Rays came back and won the next two in Arlington by a healthy margin in each game. It'll be interesting to see what happens in Game 5 which SHOULD be a pitcher's duel.

Some things to look for in Game 5: Josh Hamilton - The Rangers basically won the first 2 games without offensive production from this guy, but his defense is still extremely good. Even if the Rangers win against Tampa, going forward, they're going to need him to start hitting the ball.

David Price - Game 1 jitters. His control was terrible and it's a testament to how good his stuff is that he only allowed 5 runs (4 earned.) Game 5 should be a pitcher's duel between he and, arguably the game's best southpaw, Cliff Lee.

-The Phillies have largely been on auto-pilot for their first 2 games. Game 1 was a no-hitter by Roy Halladay (the second in post-season history, the last one being in 1956!!!!!) if you haven't heard it enough already. Game 2 was ugly. No extra base hits, a bunch of defensive miscues by the opposition, and surprisingly good bullpen action on the part of the Phillies gave them a 7-4 win, and they to Cincinnati today to try to complete a 3-game sweep. Get your brooms out!

Things to look for: Home runs? The Phillies have not had a home run in this series so far. Look for Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, and Jayson Werth to swing for the fences today, cause balls fly in the Queen City.

Reds defense and bullpen - A combination of a bunch of walks, 4 errors (including one dropped ball by Jay Bruce that gave the Phillies a 5-4 lead,) and THREE hit batters allowed the Phillies to take Game 2. The Reds really gave that one away.

-The series between the San Francisco Giants and the Atlanta Braves (fuck them!) has been a battle between the starters and the bullpens. Game 1 was just a flat out dominating by Tim Lincecum (Giants.) His line - 9IP, 14K, 2H, 1BB, 0R. Electric. Game 2 had a bit more offense. Matt Cain (Giants) looked good early and then got pulled for Brian Wilson who allowed the Braves back into the game. Braves won this game in extra innings, but in the process they lost Billy Wagner due to injury. Game 3, which just ended, was a low-scoring affair. Giants won 3-2 on shoddy Braves defense, blown save charged to Michael Dunn and not Billy Wagner.

Things to look for: Offense and defense? The Braves were a team for most of the year that scored tons of runs night after night. After losing Chipper Jones and Martin Prado to season-ending injuries however, inconsistency struck. Both players were extremely good fielders this year as well, so the Braves defense has just been atrocious. The Giants are in the same boat, somewhat. The fielders have not made that many errors, but they don't exactly run down that many balls either. Pat Burrell (he's really slow) is in left field and Jose Guillen (he's terrible) is kind of a butcher in right as well. The left side of the infield is shored up by "Kung-Fu Panda" Pablo Sandoval (he's fat!) and Juan Uribe. Truly fleet-footed individuals.

Bullpens - The Giants and the Braves both have two of the top 3 bullpens in the league. The Braves, however, are a bit more uncertain at this point. They lost Billy Wagner who has had one of his best seasons at the ripe young age of 39 and are forced to thrust Kyle Farnsworth (lol) or rookies into that role. Not the best situation for Bobby Cox (cocks) and the Atlanta Braves. The Giants, however, have arguably the best closer in baseball in Brian Wilson who, despite blowing the save in Game 2, is the best one in the playoffs not named Mariano Rivera.

Post, bitches. I spent 2 hours writing this up then having to change it due to the come-from-behind win in the 9th inning. Also Go Phillies!

Last edited by Philly Homer on 2010-10-11, 02:01; edited 1 time in total
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 7388
Registration date : 2007-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: MLB Playoffs

Post by Shemuel on 2010-10-10, 22:59

I don't like basketball.

Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Homer on 2010-10-11, 01:30

SWEEP! Cole Hamels was just outstanding today. He pitched a complete game shutout, allowed just 5 hits, struck out 9 and didn't walk a single batter. He was in cruise control the whole time. The debbie downer side of me is kinda worried about the offense only mustering 2 runs off of an entirely hittable Reds pitching staff tonight, but the Phils pitching is good enough to cover up for offensive inconsistency.

To be honest, the bottom of the 9th inning was really scary for me. Brandon Phillips got lucky and pulled a ball that got just under Polly's glove, but then Cole induced a grounder from likely NL MVP Joey Votto to 2nd base: double play! That shut up the crowd very nicely. And to top it all off, Scott Rolen struck out for the final out of the game. Classic.

NLCS baby! Just waiting for the results of the Giants/Braves series now.
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel on 2010-10-11, 10:49

So the Phillies are one of the favourites to win the league?

Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Homer on 2010-10-11, 18:02

Yep. They're the NL favorite and the (evil) Yankees are the AL favorite at this point.
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Galaxy-Scarface on 2010-10-11, 18:06

the tigers collapsed. 2 years in a row. shame.
Galaxy-Scarface
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Male Number of posts : 3074
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Homer on 2010-10-11, 18:08

Yeah I know, they're one of the teams not named the Phillies or the Twins that I like. It's a damn shame, the injuries basically killed em during the regular season. Miguel Cabrera had a really nice year though.

And with the post I got over the 5.5 post over/under mark!
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Homer on 2010-10-12, 22:30

SF Giants won the series against the (goddamn) Braves yesterday 3-1, so the NLCS will be between the Phillies and the Giants. It should be a really good series, I expect hard-fought games between each team and it really could go either way.

Things to look for in this series: Pitching, pitching, pitching. Runs will be at a premium here given the quality of each team's starting staff. The 1-3 starters for the Phillies are overall better than the Giants' but the number 4 starter advantage goes to San Francisco. The Giants bullpen is also vastly better than the Phillies', but the Phillies bullpen is extremely well-rested due to the starters all going deep into games. The top 3 all pitched over 200 innings during the regular season with Roy Halladay eating over 250(!!!) innings, tops in the majors.

Offense? Both teams' offenses are extremely inconsistent. One night they can get shut out and the next day score 12 runs. I like the Phillies' chances more here though; if Ryan Howard and Jayson Werth can get going and start hitting the ball hard, look out!

Overall this will be a nail-biter for all games they play and I won't have hard feelings if the Giants win. Also Tampa Bay and Texas are playing their final game today, so I'll write it up tomorrow.
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: