Mk II Gaming News

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mk II Gaming News

Post by Thingy on 2010-08-02, 15:17

All gaming and hardware related news go here. If you want to be a contributor, make a reply in the ''Roll Call'' thread.

Editor: Thingy.
Contributors: Leewatson.

*Giggles like a schoolgirl*
He...Hehe...Pfff...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA [/quote]

[quote="JPB18"]Now I remembered that PlayStation 3 has a better game catalogue then XBox... Just look at titles like -------- Assassins Creed: Brotherwood------ [/quote]

Thingy

Male Number of posts : 4452
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Robbers taken down by nerd herd

Post by Thingy on 2010-08-02, 15:30

Two teenage robbers learned not to fuck with a nerds Nintendo DS in a failed robbery of an internet gaming centre in Hawaii. The two robbers went into the centre thinking it would be a soft target, considering that there were only 9 people inside, and all were nerds. They punched the clerc upon entering to show that they mean business, and then asked the customers for all their money. Most surrendered their belongings without a fight, then things went badass.

One of the robbers asked a customer for his DS, but ''he wasn't having that''. He punched back, and soon the robbers had an entire nerd herd bullrushing their asses. The robbers friends were waiting outside, trying to get them out so they could make their escape and finally they managed to drag both of their friends out of the massive blob of nerds that was consuming them, but it was too late. The police had been alerted and arrived at the scene arresting all involved. All suspects have been released pending further investigation, but the evidence against them is pretty much rock solid. Just like the shower rapists that await them in prison.

The moral of the story? Don't.Fuck.With.A.Nerd's.DS. Or you will die.

[quote="JPB18"]Now I remembered that PlayStation 3 has a better game catalogue then XBox... Just look at titles like -------- Assassins Creed: Brotherwood------ [/quote]

Thingy

Back to top Go down

Re: Mk II Gaming News

Post by Shemuel on 2010-08-02, 16:45

Heh, THAT much of a fightback? Most of the nerds just watched. It was just one of them and the shopkeeper against the robbers.

Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy on 2010-08-07, 01:52

Well, still, it's pretty awesome. And i think more nerds joined the nerdherd as the fight progressed.

And speaking of fighting back, we've got some great news that will warm up the hearts of small time developers. Activision has been taken to court by the little man and, for once, lost!

Ever heard of Greg Hastings paintball and Greg Hastngs Paintball 2? Me neither, but activision doesn't really care, they just want to do evil shit and be massive cunts. That might be why they tried to steal Greg's identity to continue the greg hasting's paintball series, but without Greg Hastings approval.

It all started when Greg Hastngs relieved activision from handling the publishing of his game series ''for doing such a poor job'', Hastings said to Gamesradar. He continued ''Activision tried to steal my franchise. Within 24 hours of me shipping my PlayStation 2 game, Greg Hastings Tournament Pantball Max'd, they sent me a letter and they said, 'We feel you've abandoned your
franchise, and we're going to commence making games called Greg Hastings Painbtall without Greg Hastings.''' Greg Hastings and Activision then went to court.

Fast forward a few painful years and lots of money lost (though i think he got it all back plus maybe a little more when he won the case, the money, that is) and Greg has become a hero for all the developers who have lost their money, their jobs and their creative works to Activision and all the other big corporations (though Activision takes the prize by far).

But, the fact that hundreds if not thousands have had their lives ruined, at least temporarily, by Activision's greed is still there. And that is not likely to change... If Activision wants something, they're very likely to get it, and those who stand in their way, the owners of the thing Activision wants, will always pay the price. With their creative works, jobs, money or all three combined.

Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by A-BIack_Man on 2010-08-07, 02:02

I dont think "creative works" is the right word to describe these guys. The Greg guy is just another example of how they milk series' for all they are worth.

A-BIack_Man

Male Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2009-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy on 2010-08-07, 02:07

I haven't played it, but it probably sucked really hard...

Still, that's no excuse for Activision to steal his name, or any of the other works they've stolen from small developers.

Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy on 2010-08-10, 07:40

This just in! New York City has been flooded with pure retardation! The origin of the retardation flood is believed to be the town of Beacon, NY where an arcane law has shut down an arcade museum.

The museum in question is Fred Bobrow's arcade museum, which houses hundreds of pinball and arcade machines, all of them fully playable (if you've rented the place, that is). The place was shut down due to an ancient anti pinball law set up by some old farts with power back in the day, which officially was created because of what the old paranoid farts thought was corruption of the youth, gambling, mafia involvement and attracting a seedy crowd. Punishment for having such an establishment is 1000 bucks a day, or prison.

Some officials (the ones who don't use adult diapers) have called it a good fit with Beacon and it could be a lucrative tourist attraction, but the politicians are still dragging on their feet to get rid of the law, probably because some have to change their diapers too frequently to have a significant uninterrupted debate with them young whippersnappers.

If they don't get off their feet soon, however, the future for the museum will be uncertain. "The town is on their own timeline that doesn't
coincide with business," he says. "In business, you have the be open
everyday.,

When asked, the mayor of the town, not realizing how utterly fucking ridiculous he sounds, said "The legislative process really does take its time
... It's a process that really can't be done very quickly because we
want to do it right rather than right away."

Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy on 2010-08-16, 20:38

*Fanboy SQUEEEAAAAAL*

OMIGOSHOMIGOSHOHMIHGOHSH!! BETHESDAISANNOUCNINGTHISNEWTITLEANDITSLIKETOTALLYGOINGTOBEANEWINSTALLMENTINTHEELDERSCROLLSFRANCHISEANDHESAIDITSGOINGTOBELIKETHESHORTESTTIMEBETWEENANNOUNCMENTANDRELEASEFORBETHESDAIFNOTMODERNGAMINGANDOHGOSHOGHOSHOGHSOHITHINKMYPANTSARELEAKINGOHGOSHOGHOSHOHGOSHITANDTHERESSOMUCHBROWNSTUFFOHGHOSHOHGOSH

*ERHM* *Slaps self* So, now that i'm done fanboying out...

Bethesda has had a lot of publishing and acquisition going on the surface recently, but they've mostly kept their lips sealed about their internal game development. Apparently, that's going to change soon. According to Executive Producer Todd Howard, their next title is nearly ready to be announced, and if that's not awesome enough for you, it's ''fairly into production''. He even said that it's going to be the closest between announcement and release for Bethesda, though he didn't want to give a solid release date.

He didn't say what franchise it'll belong to, but he did say it's going to be running on a heavily modified version of the Fallout 3 engine, which in turn is a modified version of the Oblivion engine. I'm hoping it's going to be the next Elder Scrolls title... Imagine... An entire new region, with an entire new main quest, and if it's anything like the older Elder Scrolls titles, a metric shitload of side quests mostly made of pure awesome sauce. New characters... New weapons... New monsters... New mechanics... Sigh... I need new pants...

Let's just hope it won't be that shitty elder scrolls MMO they've talked about before, or a shitty version of Oblivion. That, would piss me right the frak off.

Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy on 2010-08-16, 20:42

He also said they're working on the game that would follow said project, and he's done quite a lot of design on that one. It's kind of like when they were developing Oblivion and Fallout 3 at the same time... Maybe this is the same, but with the sequels. That would be awesome...

Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by A-BIack_Man on 2010-08-16, 21:41

This was at quakecon. back before E3, they said they would probably announce a new TES at quakecon, so im a little pissed they showed any info on it. we all know they are making it, but i want INFO!!
A-BIack_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing on 2010-08-31, 15:32

Seems Xbox live prices are going up, read about it here:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100831/entertainment/us_tec_microsoft_xbox

Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Male Number of posts : 17810
Registration date : 2007-10-13

http://www.flashtrek-tuf.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy on 2010-09-02, 21:11

In the coming year, The US will either prove that it's lead by old men who try to shoot down anything they don't understand, or that it's leaders actually make some kind of sense. For in the coming year, the US Supreme Court will be giving a verdict for the case of California VS Common Sense and Free Speech, also known as the law that will make it just as illegal to sell violent games to minors (or just games with a higher age recommendation, like, if we lived in california and you sold me Fallout 3, you'd have to pay some pretty massive fines).

The US, being a country mostly lead by old men and paranoid mothers apparently, has had a shitload of similar laws rise up, only to be struck down for being unconstitutional. This one, however, has been taken up by the supreme court due to the massive amounts of support Cali's conservative old men and paranoid housewives have given it. It's actually quite extraordinary, since the Supreme Court takes an incredibly small number of cases every year (around a hundred?).

If it goes through, the Supreme Court will have made it clear that games are not protected by the first amendment, and we can expect all the idiots in the rest of the US to get their anti game laws up and running again, and alot of them would probably succeed. The results of this will be the second death of gaming. The US mature gaming market will take a massive hit, meaning developers will have to make games with either incredibly subtle mature themes, or none at all, making them basically mindless toddler toys.

Europe won't be affected by the law, and since people here apparently aren't as idiotic as across the pond, similar laws probably aren't to be expected.

And just a reminder, selling 18+ games to people below 18, whether they can handle it or not (most can handle 18+ games by the age of 15, from what i've seen and experienced first hand), will be illegal. So it doesn't matter if you're, say, 16, which is a mature age. It's plain illegal. This is expected to hit the mature gaming market quite hard on the head. Sure, there will be mature gamers, and the newest gaming generation will mature soon, but it'll probably still be enough to make good mature games quite rare.

A video explaining this can be found here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/1961-Free-Speech

Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing on 2010-09-02, 21:12

well it's the same thing with movies so I dunno what your big deal is.

Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy on 2010-09-02, 21:16

Almost everyone goes to the movies and buys them on DVD's these days. Few buy the games that aren't tailor made for the mainstream, like, say, Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 or the family games on the Wii.

The mainstream didn't buy Fallout 3, Red Dead Redemption or the many other games that provided actual depth, immersion and good storytelling, it bought Modern Warfare 2 because it lets you shut your brain off for a while and have some twitch based fun for an hour or two every week. The gaming demographic has alot of people under the age of 18. They're also probably the majority of the sales for games like Fallout 3.

Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing on 2010-09-02, 21:18

the exact same with movies. The largest movie demographics is between 13 and 20. 18A films do really poorly because the largest demographic of moviegoers aren't allowed to see them which IMO is a good thing.

Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy on 2010-09-02, 21:30

Well, i think there are alot more people above the age of 18 who would go to an 18A film than there are people who would pick up Fallout 3. Sure, there are older gamers who remember the good old Fallout 1&2 days/ just want it because it looks good, but i doubt they'd be enough to make an investment the size of Fallout 3 worth it.

Also, that's the thing, if selling certain games to minors becomes illegal, the studios will have to make the mature themes so subtle that the people who rate it/the censors don't notice somehow, or just skip them completely and make their games fun filled adventures with mickey mouse and disneyland for the whole family.

Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by A-BIack_Man on 2010-09-02, 21:34

usually game sellers don't let under-aged kids buy games anyway, its the parents that buy it for them or are with them when they buy it.

and even if it does happen it should, hopefully, only effect the mainstream games.

A-BIack_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy on 2010-09-02, 21:50

Well, some might not, but it's not illegal. And it's the same for movies (here and in the US at least...). It's all about self regulation, deciding what games are OK and what games are not. For an example, selling Red Dead to a minor wouldn't be that bad, but selling Condemned 2 (a torture simulator basically)is. With this law, not only will both be considered just as illegal, but the supreme court would make a statement about games, they'd be saying that games are so incredibly corrupting and filthy that they have to be a controlled substance, unlike movies with the exact same level of ''mature'' stuff.

Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing on 2010-09-02, 21:51

All I can speak for is movies, but here in Canada 18A films can't be sold to underage people. It is illegal.

Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by A-BIack_Man on 2010-09-03, 11:28

in other news: mass effect 2 is coming to the playstation 3

link

A-BIack_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy on 2010-09-04, 10:21

BWAHAHAHAHAHA, AHAHAHA oooooh.... God.... *Wipes a tear*

Duke Nukem Forever just went into the final stages of development. I shit you not. This is not a joke. DUKE.NUKEM.FOREVER just got finished. No, really, it's done, there's a fully working demo for the press, and it'll be fully released next year. Oh, yeah, and I'm not responsible for any headsplosions due to this news post.

It took twelve years and it's become the joke that represents everything vaporware, but it's done. Click the link for the full story. Seriously, do it. I command you.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/8071-PAX-2010-Hands-On-Duke-Nukem-Forever

Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy on 2010-09-06, 19:55

I thought it was just some troll who wanted to piss people off when i saw the topic's title on the escapist... But apparantly it's official. Company Of Heroes (which by the way has been hailed as one of the best if not the best RTS game in history) designer Brian R Wood has been killed in a tragic car accident that also took the lives of 2 people in the other car.

The 33 year old Brian was traveling with his 6 months pregnant wife on Whidbey Island, Washington state, when his Subaru Outlook was hit head on by a Chevy Blazer being driven by the 21 year old dickhead Jordyn Weichert. Weichert, who by the way is suspected to have been under the influence of mind altering drugs, was removing his sweater while passenger Samantha Bowling held the wheel when they lost control of the car and struck Brian's car. Brian and 2 passengers in Weichert's car died, and his wife is currently hospitalized but her condition is improving, and she'll hopefully survive.

The fucking idiot that was driving the other car has not only destroyed the lives of 2 people, but she's also taken the lives of 2 of her friends and an amazing talent in the videogame industry. Washington state will hopefully charge her and Samantha Bowler with Vehicular Homicide. Here's hoping her stay in jail will be really, freaking, painful, and that this'll follow her through the rest of her life... For completely ruining the lives of the dead's families, his son and his wife all because she couldn't rub together those last 2 brain cells and come to the conclusion that it isn't a very good idea to take drugs, go out on the highway and remove your sweater mid drive, she deserves nothing less...

My condolences go to the families of the 2 dead passengers, and Brian's friends and family. May he rest in peace.

Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing on 2010-09-07, 01:12

wow, that's sad. in somewhat related matters, a guy from ELO died today because a giant bale of hay rolled down a hill and smashed into him while he was driving his car.

Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy on 2010-09-09, 19:14

A memorial fund has been set up for the wife and unborn child of Brian R Wood, the Relic game designer who died in a car crash last week (scroll up for the full story).

The fund was created to help his wife, Erin, and his unborn son make it through these hard times, and i think it's going to be needed...

According to Erin, he swerved at the last second, which resulted in him taking the brunt of the force, saving her and the baby. That makes him, in my opinion, a true hero. If you want to donate, go to http://www.brianwoodmemorialtrust.com/ and click the donate button, or, if you live in the lower mainland of British Columbia, you can donate in person by going to a North Shore Credit Union office and making a donation to The Brian Wood Memorial Trust. Even a small amount helps, seeing as they're probably going to need every penny.

Source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.231305-Brian-Wood-Memorial-Fund-Established (Note, quite depressing things on the other side)

Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing on 2010-09-09, 20:09

wow, that is something. can't say i know of too many people who would basically kill themselves to save someone else, cause if he swerved like that, you know he knew he wasn't gonna make it

Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Galaxy-Scarface on 2010-09-09, 21:12

the unborn child probably had A LOT to do with it.
Galaxy-Scarface
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Male Number of posts : 3074
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing on 2010-09-10, 14:31

Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyrophage on 2010-09-17, 01:28

No news, simply a subliminal message. Tremulous is fun. Play.
Pyrophage
Passenger
Passenger

Male Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkjedi on 2010-09-17, 04:03

Darkwing wrote:wow, that is something. can't say i know of too many people who would basically kill themselves to save someone else, cause if he swerved like that, you know he knew he wasn't gonna make it
Maybe he was a trekkie: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one."

Or maybe he read John 15:13

Or perhaps even Aristotle: "Even supposing the chief good to be eventually the aim for the individual as for the state, that of the state is evidently of greater and more fundamental importance both to attain and to preserve. The securing of one individual's good is cause for rejoicing, but to secure the good of a nation or of a city-state is nobler and more divine."

Or maybe he just naturally loved his wife and baby.....

Heck, I'm sure that's what anyone of us would do if we had a wife and unborn kid.

Darkjedi
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 9264
Registration date : 2007-11-22

http://www.subzeroinferno.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel on 2010-09-17, 07:37

Pyrophage wrote:No news, simply a subliminal message. Tremulous is fun. Play.

Oh wow. How many places have you brainwashed posted on?

Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing on 2010-09-17, 10:34

Darkjedi wrote:
Darkwing wrote:wow, that is something. can't say i know of too many people who would basically kill themselves to save someone else, cause if he swerved like that, you know he knew he wasn't gonna make it
Maybe he was a trekkie: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one."

Or maybe he read John 15:13

Or perhaps even Aristotle: "Even supposing the chief good to be eventually the aim for the individual as for the state, that of the state is evidently of greater and more fundamental importance both to attain and to preserve. The securing of one individual's good is cause for rejoicing, but to secure the good of a nation or of a city-state is nobler and more divine."

Or maybe he just naturally loved his wife and baby.....

Heck, I'm sure that's what anyone of us would do if we had a wife and unborn kid.

Really? I don't think many humans are capable of that

Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkjedi on 2010-09-17, 11:30

I'm saying, people here. LOL

Still, you're right though. Not many humans would ever go to that degree of love. But, it's not that they aren't capable, just that they're too lazy to change.

Love is not a feeling, it's an exercised attribute.
Darkjedi
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 9264
Registration date : 2007-11-22

http://www.subzeroinferno.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyrophage on 2010-09-17, 19:27

Heh. Just the one. Oh, and I admit it- I'm human. It's all about me me me.
Pyrophage
Passenger
Passenger

Male Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 on 2010-09-17, 19:45

Well... I personally don't know if I would do it, but I think that he must be a very noble person...

PlayOgg

JPB18
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 5475
Location : At atlantis searching for the ultimate weapon! Ok.. I'm in Azeitão, Portugal...
Registration date : 2008-05-15

http://joaopedroborrego.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by A-BIack_Man on 2010-10-18, 21:39

a huge gamin convention coming up, blizzcon. http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/936931#blog

i dont care much for WoW, but i'd like to see some new Diablo stuff finally.

A-BIack_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by leewatson1 on 2010-10-19, 13:59

Blizzcon is for starcraft and WOW fans only, it really sucks compared with E3 and games/comic con
leewatson1
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2008-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy on 2010-12-11, 23:03

HAHAHAH ELDER SCROLLS FUCKING FIVE IS HERE!

More awesome announcements to come from the VGAs shortly, including a new bioware game, most likely ME3.

Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy on 2010-12-11, 23:08

ME3 was just announced! More to come. Now excuse me, i need a clean pair of underwear, pants and i need to clean the walls. Also, repair the wall and put up new wallpaper. That's how hard i nerdgasmed.

Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Vedic on 2010-12-11, 23:17

Thingy wrote:ME3 was just announced! More to come. Now excuse me, i need a clean pair of underwear, pants and i need to clean the walls. Also, repair the wall and put up new wallpaper. That's how hard i nerdgasmed.

I Think i just died and went to heaven
Vedic
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Male Number of posts : 1769
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy on 2010-12-11, 23:19

That might be the case. Some gamers didn't survive the resulting nerdgasm.

I'm really pissed off at Spiketv though, i wanted to watch their livestream, but they decided to be cunts and only stream it to americans.

Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Vedic on 2010-12-11, 23:20

As soon as i saw those Reapers I jizzed
Vedic
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by A-BIack_Man on 2010-12-12, 02:11

heh, mass effect...really? you just played one of those. if you almost died from that take a gander at this

anyone got a defib on hand for me?

A-BIack_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy on 2010-12-12, 03:11

Actually, i posted that in the post before the ME3 one.

Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by leewatson1 on 2010-12-12, 06:49

ME3 omg i just jizzed, london is under attack and it hasn't changed loads i can relate to that!
leewatson1
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by A-BIack_Man on 2010-12-20, 19:19

holiday sales on steam started today, so there is pretty much 25%-75% off of every single game they have.

this makes for a happy bIack man

A-BIack_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by leewatson1 on 2010-12-20, 20:02

This makes for a sad lee as my bank wont allow transactions to steam Sad
leewatson1
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy on 2010-12-21, 08:24

DON'T HAVE FUCKING FUCK MONEY ON MY FUCKING FUCK ACCOUNT FUCK CAN'T FUCKING PUT MORE FUCKMONEY BECAUSE OF FUCKING FUCK EGYPT FUCK.

Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Vedic on 2010-12-21, 10:13

Damn i could buy About 100 games, from steam and still have change from £100
Vedic
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy on 2010-12-21, 11:10

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by leewatson1 on 2010-12-21, 11:36

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Last edited by leewatson1 on 2010-12-21, 13:37; edited 1 time in total
leewatson1
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander